STUDY in canada faq

1. How do I obtain a Study Permit for Canada?

Foreign/International Students who are not from visa exempt countries must apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for a Study Permit once they have received an acceptance letter from a qualified Canadian academic institution. Students will have to show that they have sufficient funds to study and live in Canada, and in some cases undergo Medical Examinations and provide Police Clearance Certificates.


2. What if I want to Study in Quebec?

Foreign/International Students who have been accepted into a qualifying educational institution in Quebec must obtain approval from the immigration authorities of the Province of Quebec in addition to their Study Permit.


3. How long is my Study Permit valid for?

A Study Permit is valid for the duration of your study program. Should you need to extend the validity of your Study Permit, you must file an Application to Change the Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada with Citizenship and Immigration Canada.


4. Can I work while Studying in Canada?

Yes, with certain conditions. Foreign/International Students holding a valid Study Permit may work on the campus of their educational institution without a Work Permit. However, in order to work off the campus, they must apply to CIC for an Off-Campus Work Permit.


5. What is an Off-Campus Work Permit?

An Off-Campus Work Permit allows Foreign/International Students to be employed off the campus of the educational institution they are attending in Canada.


6. Who is eligible for an Off-Campus Work Permit?

Foreign/International Students with valid Study Permits who are registered in a participating educational institution are eligible for Off-Campus Work Permits, if they are in good academic standing at that institution. In addition, students must have been studying full-time for six months out of the year preceding their application for an Off-Campus Work Permit.


7. How do I know if my institution is participating in the program?

A list of participating institutions can be found at the CIC website, at the following link:


8. What is satisfactory academic standing?

Satisfactory Academic Standing is determined differently by each academic institution. Students must make sure that they meet the requirements for satisfactory academic standing at the institution they are currently studying at.


9. Who is not eligible for an Off-Campus Work Permit?

Foreign/International Students who are receiving awards or scholarships from Canada’s Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade or from the Canadian International Development Agency are not eligible for an Off-Campus Work Permit. Students participating in the Canada-China Scholars Exchanges Program, in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program Exchange or in the Equal Opportunity Scholarship Program, Canada-Chile may not apply for an Off-Campus Work Permit. Visiting students are also ineligible, as well as students who are registered in English or French as a Foreign Language programs, even if they are enrolled in participating institutions.




// Script to load the widget.
Open chat
Any enquiries?
Chat With Us
Hello, 👋 Need help?

Fill in your info and get a call from our expert!