1. What type of visa do I need?

If the course you wish to study is no more than three months long, and you hold a visitor’s visa or permit then you do not need to obtain a student visa or permit to study. If your course is for three months or longer, you will need a student visa to study in New Zealand.


2. Is there an age limit?

There are no age limits on who may hold a student visa in New Zealand. 


3. Can I still get a student visa if I’ve already used my working holiday visa? 

Yes. The student visa and working holiday visa schemes are completely separate from one another.


4. Can I work in New Zealand on a student visa?

Once you are in New Zealand you can apply for a Variation of Conditions to your student permit which will allow you to work up to 20 hours a week during the academic year and during holidays.


5. How soon can I arrive in New Zealand, once I get my visa?

The visa is valid immediately upon issuing, so once you have your visa you can enter New Zealand.


6. How long does it take to get a student visa?

While Immigration New Zealand (INZ) strives to have your application processed as quickly as possible, each application is different and requires different considerations and therefore some take longer to process than others. INZ recommends that you allow at least four to six weeks for your application to be processed.


7. How long does the visa last?

The visa is valid for the duration of the course if it is up to 12 months long, or for the academic year for courses that are longer than a year.


8. What will I need to apply?

The requirements are listed at the front of the Application to Study in New Zealand form but an outline list of requirements is as follows:

  • Fully completed Student Visa/Permit application form
  • A valid passport
  • Application fee
  • A recent passport-sized photograph
  • An acceptance letter of a place at an educational provider (eg. a university) in New Zealand
  • Receipt showing payment of course fee (if your student visa application has been approved in principle)
  • Guarantee of accommodation
  • Evidence of sufficient funds for maintenance, via letter/bank statement or the Financial Undertaking form (1014)
  • Evidence of sufficient funds to purchase an outward ticket.
// Script to load the widget.
Open chat
Any enquiries?
Chat With Us
Hello, 👋 Need help?

Fill in your info and get a call from our expert!